Thursday, April 29, 2010

Beauty Queen of Only 18

I had a few drinks with a group of my girlfriends tonight...they're from the pediatrics office where I worked throughout nursing school... it's a fun crew, especially because we're all different ages, and in different stages of our lives. We started talking about people getting engaged, married, having babies, etc..and we were discussing the "right" age for all that. My one friend, who's 22 said she's no where near the point where she'd want to live with her boyfriend or get engaged, even though she thinks they'll end up together eventually. My other friend who's about to be 25 said she'd like to be married by 28. I started to agree with this...I mean, 28 sounds pretty reasonable... I'm 24 years old and I guess 4 years seems like a good amount of time. On my drive home, I popped in some old school Coldplay music and I started thinking... Where do girls get these ideas from? Who says we should wait to get married or that we have to get married by 28 or have our first baby by 30? I know plenty of fabulous women who are 30 and single, or 24 and married having their first baby. I guess what I'm saying is, there is no magic number. I think it all depends on the individual situation; when it's right for you; when it fits your life. The last thing I'd ever want is someone to propose because he thought it was time.
When I was in highschool, 24 years old seemed like a lifetime away. And suddenly I feel like I blinked, and here I am. I remember hearing that song "She will be loved" and hearing the line 'Beauty Queen of Only 18'... I was 18 at the time and I would always smile when I heard that lyric. Now when I hear it, I think "18? Thats so damn young" haha I just think we get so wrapped up in looking forward to stuff or waiting for things to happen, that we miss so much. We get so caught up in the "right" thing or the "right" time... that I think sometimes we lose ourselves.
Lately though, I've been enjoying every moment. I hope everyone gets to feel this way at some point in their lives...because if this feeling exists, if this much happiness exists...if this heart beating faster yet slower sense of calm truly exists, and lasts, well then why settle for anything less?? I don't mean that things will always be perfect, or that life won't throw its curves like it usually does, but somehow, it's easier to handle...
So I don't know when the "right" time is, or when I want to get engaged, married, have babies etc... but I don't think it matters what I plan for. I could set an age right now, but in life things inevitably don't work out exactly as planned, and what I've found recently, is sometimes, they work out better. :) I'll take my chances. Besides, I like exactly where I am right now...and where I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment