Sunday, April 11, 2010

Words

Have you ever been in the middle of something, and suddenly you remember something someone said to you? You might be in the middle of laundry, and you smile, remembering sweet words you were told...Sadly, I tend to think we usually remember more of the hurtful words ...and for some reason, once we rememeber, once we remind ourselves of those hurtful words, they seem to repeat in our heads, over and over again. It doesn't matter how untrue those words may be. Words are SO powerful. They have the potential to change everything you believe in if spoken by the right person. When someone knows you well, they know exactly what to say to wound you... they know your weaknesses, your insecurities, your vulnerabilities..and hopefully they never use that information to their advantage, but it's a power you give them...By opening yourself up to someone you risk everything.
I'm trying to write a paper for Grad school... but everytime I'm about to start writing, I just keep hearing the same words over in my head. Words that sting every time I think of them. And even though rationally, I think... I mean, I know these words are untrue, they've somehow stayed with me just the same. Maybe I just need to hear some extra nice words to clear my head of the bad stuff. :) Funny how we always believe the bad things people say to us... but it takes so much convincing to accept the good.
I think when we are hurt, our initial reaction is to find a way to hurt the person who caused us pain...I am guilty of this as well, but my advice is this: be careful with your words. They are more powerful than you think, and cut more deeply than you know. If you know what to say to someone to hurt them, that means they let you in... be careful with their heart, and with your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment