Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Answer

What is it that keeps us going in this life?
I believe in a lot of things. I believe in laughter, in friendship, in love... I believe in magic that surrounds us every single day. I believe in second chances, in miracles, and in 'meant to be.' I believe in all of these things every single day. What keeps us holding on?
I believe in laughter although I've cried my share of tears... I believe in love although I've been hurt... I believe in miracles although I've seen tragedy. I believe in second chances even though I've seen them get wasted. I believe in 'meant to be' although I've seen plenty of 'should-never be'. I trust too easily. I'm kind to people who probably don't deserve it. I still wish on stars. Why? What is it inside of us that keeps us believing, that keeps us hoping and trusting? What makes us ignore all the bad we've seen; all the disappointment we've felt; all the warning signs going off in our head. At the end of the day, what makes us try again?
I think the answer to this question, like most questions, is LOVE. New love, old love, friendship love, falling in love, unconditional love, unrequited love -- maybe just the possibility of love. Maybe that's what keeps us going. Because if we can believe in the simple possibility of love... in any of its forms, maybe that's what gives us the strength to believe in everything else.
Life is hard enough. Maybe that's why I still believe... because if some part of me doesn't hold onto the belief that there is good in this world, that there is hope in this life... well, then why bother?
If you're lucky enough to be loved... that should be enough to convince you to keep going..to find the strength to hang on...to keep believing in magic. Because that love, is your proof...that good things -- miracles -- do exist.
I think one miracle carries a thousand times more value than one tragedy. I think one true friend is worth more than ten mediocre friends. I think one day of laughter outweighs a river of tears. I think being able to truly love someone... and being loved in return, is worth more than anything in this world. So hold on. Keep believing, keep trusting, keep hoping...

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more; that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds." -- The Notebook




No comments:

Post a Comment