Monday, March 29, 2010

Mind Over Matter

"Follow your heart". Perhaps the most over-used, most cliche saying -- it sounds pretty inspirational -- but what does it really mean? I don't know about anyone else, but my heart never really knows where it's leading me. It's hard to keep up sometimes. And trying to overthink things never really gets me anywhere. Now my gut, that's something I can rely on. You can make anything sound good in your own head -- you can convince yourself repeatedly that something is right; maybe even fool your heart sometimes -- but your gut never lies. Think about it: Those fluttery butterflies you get when you're nervous/excited to see someone; that empty feeling in the pit of your stomach when you know something just isn't right; that calm you feel in your belly when you're finally comfortable with someone.
The truth is, you always know deep down what's right -- it's getting your mind to agree with it that's the hardest part. So much fear, so many 'what-ifs'. I guess I don't really think there are right and wrong decisions -- they're just choices that lead us down one path or another. The trick is to like the path you're on. And if you can find someone to travel that path with you, well then that's pretty awesome, too. To sum it up: "Happiness is a journey, not a destination" (Ben Sweetland)

No comments:

Post a Comment