Monday, March 29, 2010

The Face

I know I skipped the introduction part of this blog, but I feel the need to mention something very important to me, because it makes me who I am. I'm a pediatric oncology/bone marrow transplant nurse. Usually, when I tell people that I get 'the face' -- the look that says "Why on earth would you want to do that?!". Sometimes they actually say that out loud. I used to get pretty upset and frustrated by it, but now I just smile and say 'I love it' (which throws them an even bigger curve ball). And it's the truth. I do love it. Yes, it's sad at times, ok a lot of times. But the thing that it always is, is amazing. I get to meet the most incredible kids, the most loving parents; I'm there at diagnosis when their lives fall apart; I get to be there for each little victory and let down along the way; We're in it together -- and that's something that probably won't make sense to anyone who isn't familiar with the profession. It's not selfless. I get an immense amount of satisfaction when I can make one patient/family's day just a tiny bit better. I have been inspired by each and every patient I have ever taken care of. The most amazing thing about these kids is their strength. If I were dealing with their situations, I'd fall apart... but they just keep going, they keep fighting, and believe it or not, a lot of times they win. I'm not sure I believe things happen for a reason anymore -- I think I've seen too many things that simply cannot have a reason. But I do believe that these children are meant to touch the lives and hearts of everyone they meet.
I bring this up mainly because yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of the loss of a VERY special little boy. In his short life, he brought so much happiness to so many people and I am honored to have been able to take care of him, and to get to know his incredible, loving parents.
One day, I hope the word cancer doesn't exist. But until that day, I am proud to help kick it's ass. ;)

1 comment:

  1. very true, well said my friend :) you have to be a true hem-onc nurse to understand it...you are turning into our very own carrie bradshaw ;)

    ReplyDelete